From College to the Pros - The US soccer ladder

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Yanks go marching 11 by 11...

This week I don't have a ton of time to write my thoughts so I decided to bring your attention to some smaller things going on.

First off, we are coming up on match day 4 in MLS. Time flies! I'll be hitting the Rapids game to see how the team attacks without Pedro Peguero, who was traded to NY for their first and third picks in the 2007 SuperDraft. A great deal for the Rapids in my opinion. Pedro hasn't shown any work rate since his first season. On paper he's a star, on the pitch he needs to try harder. I'd much rather have a crack at one of the 5 best rookies next season.

Could one of the current US U-20 players be part of the draft pool the Rapids could make a run for? I hope so. Here is a link to the match report for the U-20s beating River Plate's U-20 side. River is one of the biggest clubs in Argentina and all of South America so beating their youngsters is a good result. Nikolas Besagno, Dax McCarty, Blake Wagner, Rodrigo Lopez, Quavas Kirk, Estuardo Sanchez, Josmer Altidore and David Arvizu all played in the match and all play for MLS. I'm sure the majority of the rest of that roster will get a look before the next SuperDraft. By the way, Is anyone else scared that Altidore and Arvizu are both on NY Red Bulls?

Maybe Real (Fake) Salt Lake should consider switching some more reserves into the starting line-up. While the big guys can't win a game, the young guys are 2-0 with rookie Ryan Johnson leading the reserve league with two goals and an assist. Johnson was the 26th overall pick and is trying to unseat the aging Jason Kreis from a starting spot, no doubt.

Ok, I'll admit, RSL fans shouldn't get too excited about the reserve success, they're the only team to play 2 matches.

This summer promises more soccer giants touring the country. Barcelona and Chelsea will play friendly matches against MLS teams in various cities around the country. Naturally they aren't coming to Denver, so I won't get to see them. Despite me having to watch on tv, it is exciting for the young guys in MLS to play this quality opponent.

Ok, that is all I can think of today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home