From College to the Pros - The US soccer ladder

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Face of American Soccer Player Development is About to Change...Part II

Ok, I'm entitled to a second thought on some topics, right? I say yes.

I've been thinking more and reading other people's thoughts about the upcoming creation of a vertical development system in MLS. When I wrote my last post on the topic last Friday, I was of the mind that college soccer will suffer because top talent will no longer enroll in American universities to play top level soccer. Basically you'd get guys like me who love the game and can run, but don't have the skill to play against the best, or the second best...ok, I can't play with the 20th best. Anyway, back on topic.

I don't think that is true now. If anything, having a better youth development system in the States will further advance the college game. The kids entering college who participated in MLS youth teams will have better skills, have more passion and will be overall better players because they've grown up in a professional system. Hopefully.

Why do I say hopefully? Because my worst fear is that the [insert MLS club here] start a youth system in name only. I fear they will see this as a marketing tool where they can charge parents who can afford it hundreds of dollars a year to have their kids, "Train with the Rapids!" I'm affraid of MLS clubs creating a fantasy camp.

This would be terrible. This vertical development system needs to be funded by the team in an effort to identify quality talent not currently being spoted by the current system. As I've said many times, the current system is too often tied to how much a parent is willing to invest in the child's sport. The new MLS system needs to include the best players, from all walks of life. It needs to include the kids from the poor parts of town who take the bus to practice as opposed to those who can drive a few hours each way to practice in their mom's Lexus. This is how the college game will be helped.

This new system will hopefully include a lot of kids who currently love to play and have the natural skills but don't get the coaching they need and don't get infront of the scouts who need to see them. When these kids get to 16 or 17 years old, and the club team doesn't think they're at the point where they've earned a professional contract, hopefully college scouts will be able to see them and offer them college scholarships. This is how I see the college game improving. MLS will enter the youth development market and will help raise the level and enlarge the player pool available to colleges. Sure the cream of the crop will get professional contracts, but I can't see that being more than five kids a year, per team. So then you have over ten other guys who have benefited from the advanced coaching, training and competition who need somewhere to play. College will become the third division of American soccer.

Additionally, I hope some of the best young players like Lee Nguyen and Jonathan Villanueva will not be tempted to go abroad because they'll start playing for their local MLS club and will sign professional contracts before heading overseas. I have no doubt many young kids will continue to dream about playing in Europe, but as more and more of the top talent is developed by and stays in MLS, the league will improve and kids will stay here to earn a good living and prove they can play.

I eagerly await the offical MLS announcement of the new vertical development system. I believe this to be a watershed event in American soccer and in the growth of MLS. Project-40 was started by Nike in the 90's to help the league and American soccer develop the best of the best with the goal of winning the 2010 World Cup. However, I see vertical development in MLS as the real boost to our chances of lifting the Copa Mundial. Here's to MLS finally seeing the light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home