From College to the Pros - The US soccer ladder

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Bic's View: UNC 3 - 1 Virginia Commonwealth (9/19/06)

UNC bounced back from their loss away at Clemson with a 3-1 win over Virginia Commonwealth on Tuesday. Stephen Bickford, who's been fighting for playing time among a talented group of forwards for the Tar Heels, seized his opportunity and turned in a Man of the Match performance when he entered the 1-1 match in the 61st minute. Bickford's inclusion immediately turned the balance in UNC's favor and within a dozen minutes, Stephen had scored the game winner and assisted on an insurance goal. Although he has only seen about 135 mins of play through 9 games, Bic now stands third on the Tar Heels scoring chart with 2 goals and 2 assists.



TSF: When you entered the match, the score was tied and neither team seemed to have an edge. What tactical instructions did coach Bolowich give you coming on in order to try and break the game open?

Bic: Coach gives the offensive players a lot of freedom to try and express themselves on the field. There is no specific intstruction but he expects a subsitute to make a positive impact on the match.

TSF: The goal you scored was from a bit of an extreme angle. Surely that was supposed to be a cross or were you trying to chip the keeper?

Bic: Yes it was definitely intended to be a cross. Luckily the ball skimmed off the thigh of the left back and sailed in off the back post.

TSF: Your substitution seemed to turn the advantage in the Tar Heels' favor and you contributed to the attack last night both by running at the left back with the ball at your feet as well as serving as a target and laying off passes for your teammates, like the assist on Campbell's goal. Which aspect of your game do you feel is stronger and why did those two aspects have such an impact on the match?

Bic: I mainly played as the target forward tonight although in that role I am expected to "run the line" when I'm out there. By "running the line" I mean that I am supposed to run laterally across the field even with the last defender, looking for any openings that present themself. As always a target is supposed to be able to effectively hold the ball and distribute it which is an area of my game that had struggled a bit in the past. I worked a lot this summer on trying to hold the ball and keep possession, and I think my efforts there are beginning to show.

TSF: Carolina has a lot of talent at forward and you've had difficulty getting playing time so far this year. How does it feel to be able to come off the bench and have such an immediate impact on the game?

Bic: Whenever you're struggling for playing time you always want to make the most out of the minutes that you get. I love being on the field and I was thrilled that I could help my team the way I did last night.

TSF: That was your third goal in your Carolina career. How does it rate both among your collegiate and previous club careers?

Bic: It was certainly the least glamorous of my three college goals but it was undoubtedly my most important. Goals I scored in club and high school aren't worth anything now that I'm playing at the collegiate level.

TSF: You had a similar impact on the William & Mary when you entered late in both the first and second halves. Have you found a niche role for yourself as "super-sub" or are you making a case for the starting XI?

Bic: I think every player certainly wants to be a part of the starting line-up. I'm going to keep working and hopefully it will pay off.



Stephen Bickford, a sophmore forward at UNC and Green Hope (Cary, NC) High School alum, will be sharing his thoughts on the Tar Heels season with Triangle Soccer Fanatics throughout the year.

Reprinted from Triangle Soccer Fanatics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home