From College to the Pros - The US soccer ladder

Friday, January 12, 2007

MLS Draft Day 2007!!!

The day is finally here. Aside from any birthdays, holidays and anniversaries...I think this is my favorite day of the year. I guess that helps explain why I stated this blog.

My first MLS draft where I was really hooked was during graduate school, so it must have been the 2004 draft. I didn't have class so all I had to do was watch and wait for my beloved Rapids to select. It is a total cliche, but I remember it like it was yesterday. 2004 was the year of Freddy Adu. I suppose that is what made me want to watch. The fact the draft was being broadcast on-line for free helped a lot as well. My Rapids' first pick was in the second round and they took Adolfo Gregorio.

Adolfo Gregorio, that is right. Can he be found in the league today? No. Did he ever play for the Rapids? No. The UCLA product went abroad trying to find a club. He played in the lower English divisions then came home to play for former coach, John Ellinger, at rival Real Salt Lake. That was my first, cruel experience with the draft and how players can get you excited and then become total let downs.

With that in mind my friends, get excited for today's festivities. They all kick off in under two hours! (12 noon est, 10 am here in Denver) This time around the first hour of the draft is being broadcast by ESPN2, live. The league will shift coverage to the website after the first hour. A harsh byproduct of the great new league TV deals is that not everything can be free anymore. So I'll have to survive on the slow to update draft tracker for my fix this am.

Here is the official MLS SuperDraft page. You can use it as a good resource to see who goes where. Throughout the day I will try to update the blog with my thoughts.

Pop some popcorn, this is going to be fun. Remember that your team is doing the best they can. Some will no doubt have an Adolfo Gregorio, but that is part of the fun. Enjoy!!!

3 Comments:

  • There is an online chat room at MatchNight:
    http://chat.matchnight.com/

    Buzz Carrick at 3rdDegree.net has his mock draft up...
    http://www.3rddegree.net/thirdindex.cfm?page=article&show=20256

    For reference, Buzz got 8 of 12 right in 2005, 9 of 12 in 2006.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:51 AM  

  • Gregorio wasn't even good enough to win a starting spot with Real Salt Lake in their expansion season.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:08 AM  

  • Gregorio wasn't even good enough to win a starting spot with Real Salt Lake in their expansion season.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home