From College to the Pros - The US soccer ladder

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Add Him To The Database...

Last night was the Rapids annual Burgundy vs. Blue game. Overall the event is no more then a dry run for the DSG Park and Rapids staff and a chance for soccer needy season ticket holder and Commerce City residents to get a free look at their team. I wrote about it over here on the Class VI website. The 60 minute match ended in a 1-1 draw. How appropriate for a Rapids game....

Of note to this blog was the fact that an un-known forward made his way onto the field with about 10 minutes left. The tall and lanky kid wasn't listed on the one page program handed to fans before the game. His name was announced and my friend and I gave each other a mutual shoulder shrug. One minute later I couldn't remember his name. Overall his play was unremarkable and you could tell he was nervous and out of place. Thankfully for Rapids fans he wasn't the latest signing from Scotland, Tam McManus. This morning we learned he is a member of the Colorado Rapids U-18 team and his name is Omar Haner.

Wait...what??? A member of the U-18 team came out with the big boys in a pre-season friendly. I know New York has been looking at one of their youngsters for a full time deal, but is this the first time a youth team member played in a match with US Soccer referees? No, not an official match but official referees. Did the Rapids do something first? I'm going to ask my friends Steve Goff, Ives, LB help on this one...any other of the major MLS bloggers know about this one? Has a member of the U-18 team been trotted out with the senior team in a friendly yet?

As the title implies Haner will be added to my database and I'll do whatever research I can on the kid.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home