From College to the Pros - The US soccer ladder

Thursday, December 04, 2008

1999 US U-17 Team...Where Have I Seen That Before...

Right now I'm not sure if I should feel honored or ripped off. Or is this such a common theme that anyone could be inspired to write about it? You see, today I went to ESPN.com and found this story by Justin Rodriguez. Immediately I thought about the blog post I wrote regarding this team. I even spread it out over multiple parts.

If you read Rodriguez's story it is obvious he didn't rip off any content. He actually wrote it as a journalist getting quotes and doing interviews; something I rarely do. He obviously put more work into it than I ever did. But it brings up the question, at what point is credit due to someone else for doing some base research?

Look, I don't know if Rodriguez read my post over two years ago, or ever for that matter, and got the idea and took off from there. I don't know if Justin Rodriguez has ever read my blog at all. With the proliferation of blogs it does bring up an interesting gray area.

Justin Rodriguez, or anyone at ESPN.com who can pass on the message to Justin Rodriguez, did I provide any inspiration for this story, or did you think it up all on your own? That's all I want to know.

**EDIT** I should add that I give a lot of props to Justin Rodriguez for the research he did into this team. I did my best to Google all these guys but people like Danny Bolin didn't hit my radar as well from my desk in Denver. Nice piece Justin.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • relax, he's actually got quotes. so what if you are doing similar stories? This is journalism.

    By Blogger HPGUy, at 10:40 AM  

  • I have not read the article yet but I will.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:06 PM  

  • Thomas Rongen just named the U-20 squad for the February camp.

    Latest Soccer News

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home