From College to the Pros - The US soccer ladder

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

FCTP Falls Off The Wagon...

You've already figured out that I can't keep up with the MLS Rookie of the week business. I'm sorry, I really am. Today I am officially declaring that feature is dead. I gave it a good go but it is too tough as the MLS season wears on and work gets busy. If anyone out there wants to join my "staff" and take over the honor of scouring match write ups and trying to make an educated decision on who the best rookie was this past week, please write me or comment below. Work, life and other interesting soccer news has gotten in the way.

One thing that has certainly gotten in the way is my reading of other soccer blogs. Google Reader has hooked me people. I'm going to put a link to the right call "What Bonji Is Reading." It will show you what I share in Google Reader. For those who enjoy blogs but haven't started using a blog compiler, check it out. You subscribe to the blog and then get all of their articles automatically. You can take the time it takes to search for what you want to read and put it into reading. I highly recommend you start by subscribing to your favorite soccer blog, FCTP.

The fall US U-17 residency class has been announced. Top Drawer Soccer does a great job on their write up, check it out. Yes, I found this through Google Reader and someone else's blog. Can't remember who's...sorry.

I got some confused calls from family members yesterday wondering why I wasn't on the radio. Tonight is From The Pitch. It is every Tuesday night from 6 - 8 pm mountain time. Tune in! If you like the logo update we posted the other day, I can put you in touch with the graphic designer who did the update. I'm sure he'd be happy to charge you for a similar service.

MLS is coming down to the final playoff push. Colorado, Chicago and Columbus are all pushing for the 8th and final spot. I love the new playoff qualification format. It really did open up the competition. Instead of both conferences being interested in who is going to get the last spot, now there is one spot for teams from both conferences. Check out the single table widget in the right hand margin to see who is in the playoffs and who is out.

I think Chicago is going to take that magical 8th spot. The addition of Blanco and Wanchope has really helped Chicago come alive in the second half of the season. They can actually go on the road and beat a team they're competing with for the final playoff spot. That is something the Rapids couldn't do. The Rapids need to take notice. Many other teams are improving their situation by signing quality designated players and senior internationals while the Rapids are signing unfit has been former internationals and saving their money on the designated player. GM Plush makes it sound like next year we will see a DP in Colorado, but I'm not so sure. Nothing in the club's history would make me think they are ready to splash the cash on a quality player to bring wins to the club. The Rapids seem to try and emulate the Oakland A's of MLB. When was the last time the A's won the World Series is my question? Ohh, right...1989. When I was still a baseball fan and attended the ALCS where the A's swept the Red Sox to make it to the World Series against the SF Giants and the epic Battle of the Bay that was interrupted by the biggest earthquake I've ever felt. I remember.

Rapids take note, you need to spend to win. My prediction for MLS Cup 2007 is that the two teams in the final will have highly paid players on their roster who know how to score goals in big games. Angel....Blanco...I'm looking at you two.

But I digress....Listen in tonight. Call in to ask some questions. It'll be fun!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home