From College to the Pros - The US soccer ladder

Monday, November 19, 2007

MLS Losing Media Coverage...

In what I can only term a detriment to the growth of soccer in the US, ussoccerplayers.com is not going to cover MLS in the future outside of their coverage of US National Team players. After reading the article announcing their decision I am horrified that MLS continues their closed door, positive spin, Bush Administration type policies to the point of losing press coverage.

I have run into this same thing on a smaller scale. In an attempt to give American fans and Rapids fans more insight into young MLS players, I attempted to gain press credentials from the Colorado Rapids this season. Each of my attempts was rebuffed with a polite email telling me the application wasn't ready yet. Well, after the season started I gave up. The Rapids and MLS don't want a critical eye on them or in their locker room. I assumed it was because I am a blogger and a fan of the sport. Today confirms that it is not just bloggers being put off by the league.

Ussoccerplayers.com has some of the best soccer writers in the country writing for them. As highlighted in the above article they actually edit their articles, unlike Major League Soccer's new rag where I found 10 mistakes in one article. Folks, I was an engineer in college...and I found mistake in a magazine that I paid money for. Do you see something wrong here? Well Major League Soccer magazine is just another PR tool for the league. While you'll find some interesting topics in there, you can tell that the league is feeding them access where they want to have access. Want to know why Sports Illustrated isn't doing stories on MLS too often? I have a feeling USsoccerplayers.com can tell you. Good media doesn't just want to act as a PR monkey for a league.

MLS, it is time to take the wraps off. It is time to look in the mirror and see the zits. We are all out here hoping for your success but if you keep hiding behind smoke and mirrors to protect yourself, there will continue to be issues preventing progress. The NFL, MLB and NBA didn't get where they are today by only allowing positive media stories. You know MLB isn't happy with all of the spotlight on Barry Bonds. However, that is what makes you a real league. You're going to have to take both good and bad publicity.

I don't know who wants to hide. Don Garber gets out and does interviews so it can't be him. I have a feeling it is reclusive billionaires like Phil Anschutz and Stan Kroenke who are behind this stance. Boys, it is time to let your sports project leave home. If MLS were Jewish and male, the league would become a man next season. Let's stop pushing media outlets away with closed door, secretive policies. Embrace the media and let them help you grow. Transparency is the only way in the information age.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I stopped reading at the point where you made the lame ass attempt to equate MLS credentialing policies with the "Bush administration".

    I'm no big fan, but the White House credentials all sorts of media, and allows all kinds of flakes to ask idiotic questions at press conferences. Even Helen Thomas, a notorious Bush hater, gets called on once a month or so and she isn't even a reporter any more.

    Your narrow, dimwitted, leftist attitudes have no place in a soccer piece. If you really want to be taken seriously, stick to what you know.

    Which clearly isn't politics.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:03 AM  

  • i admired you honesty about the MLS Combine BUT I have to notify you guys that Yomby william is not 27 but 23 ust to let you know. that was a mistake since his first year to ODU. I am sue about it because he is my younger cousin and i am 24 and one year older than him. i hope that mistake ill not hold him for being pro because he has the quality to be pro without a doubt.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home