From College to the Pros - The US soccer ladder

Monday, December 17, 2007

2007 NCAA College C2007 NCAA College Cup Is In The Books…up Is In The Books…

Wake Forest completed the dream season by winning the 2007 NCAA College Cup yesterday. They went from start to finish as the best team in the land and proved it with a come from behind victory over Ohio State. True, the ACC championship would have capped things off but I’m sure they players don’t mind the season outcome now. The only team to beat Wake in 2007? Boston College. Those two losses were enough to sway the NCAA selection committee to give BC the #1 seed as opposed to Wake, which I’m sure they’d agree in retrospect, was a mistake. Wake Forest proved them wrong.

The NCAA tournament gave MLS coaches a great look at many players. The player who impressed me the most in the final was Marcus Tracey. His composure on the ball, his speed, his athletic ability made him stand out as someone who can make it in MLS. He is a junior so he’ll have to be a generation adidas player if he joins the league in 2008. I don’t know if he’ll want to leave school early, but if he does I’m sure MLS coaches are already drooling over him. His performance in both the semi-final and final made him my MVP of the tourney.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Sounds like Tracey is going back to school next year.

    I'd like to see Tracey, Nyarko and White all change their minds, but it looks like all three will head back to college next year.

    Cheers! Keep up the good work.

    By Blogger bje, at 10:37 AM  

  • Sure Tracy was big-time and probably deserved the College Cup MVP (3 goals and an assist on the title winning goal) but the two defenders for WFU stood out for me, especially in the Va Tech match.

    Jules Valentin was a monster at the back and proved to me why he was a starter at the U20 World Championships. Paired with him was Ike Opara, a true freshman from right here in the Raleigh-Durham area. I kept rubbing my eyes exclaiming...is that kid really a freshman? I guess playing alongside a player like Valentin is a great way to learn quickly.

    By Blogger Jarrett, at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home