From College to the Pros - The US soccer ladder

Monday, August 11, 2008

US Men's Soccer Olympic Update...

I was out of town Sunday morning when the US kicked off their all important Olympic match against Holland. Why do I say 'all important'? Going into the match the US was the only team in the group with three points. Nigeria and Holland had one point based on their draw while Japan had none. Furthermore, this is The Netherlands....the best of the best when it comes to youth national teams. As I clicked on the DVR sunday afternoon I was thinking, "if the US can get a point in this game, they have a chance of qualifying for the next round."

If they can get a point, did you hear me? They almost waltzed out of there with all three points! After the first half I thought to myself, "ok, not too bad. Down one goal. They can tie it up." Freddy Adu was looking more dangerous then he did in the opening match. The Dutch weren't dominating and in fact the US held some decent possession. Meanwhile, the field conditions weren't helping anyone.

As I fast forwarded to the second half I was hoping to see some magic, and I did. In case you missed it, Sacha Kljestan scored one of the nicest goals I've seen from a young Yank. If you catch the highlights, watch where the play starts for Kljestan. Somewhere near midfield if my mind serves. He combines well with Stuart Holden and then again with Freddy Adu when all of a sudden he gets a perfect return pass from Adu and is through to the 18 yard box beating two Dutch defenders. Just when you think the orange shirts will strip the ball from him, Sacha makes a great move and puts a beautiful shot past the helpless Dutch keeper, Kenneth Vermeer.

"Wow!" I'm thinking. That was something not often seen from the Red, White & Blue...that was more on par with the Dutch themselves. At this point it is the 65th minute and I'm on the edge of my couch despite being tired from a weekend camping trip.

The second half saw an improvement from the young Americans and it seemed the Dutch, one of the pre-tournament favorites based on their two recent European U-21 championships, were losing ground and didn't know what to do with the Americans. Within eight minutes I was off the couch as Jozy Altidore put home a Michael Orozco cross for the go ahead goal. Never in my wildest dreams did I think the US would be beating the Dutch 2-1. As the second half dragged on the US kept putting on pressure, forcing the Dutch keeper into some fine saves. By the end of the match the US had put eight shots on goal compared to Holland's four. The US outclassed The Netherlands!

The win wasn't to be as an ugly foul and free kick let the Dutch back into the match, in the 92nd minute....what a truly heart wrenching moment, seeing the ball skip past Brad Guzan on a free kick that went under the wall. The Dutch got lucky and came back to tie it. Had they lost, they would have been embarased beyond belief and facing almost certain elimination from the Olympics as the Americans moved into the Quarterfinals. However, games end when the whistle goes and aren't won on paper. Take pride American soccer fans. The U-23 team fought hard and well in this game, up against one of the top countries in the footballing world. This also shows what the senior national team will grow to expect once these youngsters mature to the full team...and I can't wait.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home